Tuesday, October 27, 2009


The sublime pear, 2009
gouache on Arches cold pressed 140 lb watercolor paper

The pear is one of my favorite fruits! I recently made an Apple and Pear Crostata from this recipe and wanted to pay some more artistic homage to this winter work horse . It came out fabulous! I didn't have quince and had my pastry already made from a Barefoot Contessa recipe.

This painting is my first attempt using gouache. I have instantly fallen in love with this medium! I used a photo from one of Ina Garten's books as my inspiration. I assume these were bosc pears. Her reciipe books are so beautiful and filled with easy-enough to create dishes.

My first attempt of gouache was on Yupo paper (which was also my first attempt using Yupo paper). I think that I had too many loose variables, so I went with old reliable cotton paper. I'll keep experimenting with the yupo paper and see where it takes me. Right now, it feels odd when I dab a brush on its surface. It will take some getting use to.

My friend Leslie is encouraging me to try water based oil paints. I think that she did some beautiful work with it! Great, another art supply to buy; another reason to vist Blick! Twist my arm!

You can view this and more work at Red Bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment